Rose Apple Pie Recipe
This pretty rose apple pie is a perfect dessert for any dinner party or a picnic. It is a classic French Recipe and goes perfect with a cup of afternoon tea. Plus it is super easy to make :).
For the Crust
- 1 ¼ cups flour (150 g)
- 1 tbsp sugar (12 g)
- ¼ tsp salt (1.5 g)
- 1 stick cold unsalted butter, cubed (120 g)
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tbsp ice water (30 ml)
For the compote:
- 3 gala apples, peeled, cored and cut into chunks
- 2 tbsp sugar (25 g)
- ¼ cup of apple juice (60 ml)
- ¼ cup of water (60 ml)
- zest of 1 lemon
For the topping:
- 2 apples, peeled, cored and sliced very very thing
- ½ tsp of sugar (2 g)
- juice of ½ a lemon
How to make it:
- In a bowl combine flour, salt and sugar and mix until combined. And butter cubes a few at a time, rubbing quickly until dough resembles a coarse meal. Beat egg together with water. Add egg mixture, slowly, mixing just until dough comes together. Turn out onto a floured surface and roll into a ball and then pat down into a disk. Wrap disk in plastic and refrigerate for 30 minutes (or pop in the freezer for 10)
- Meanwhile, place apple chunks, juice, water and zest in a heavy-bottomed sauce pan. Cover and bring to a boil and let cook for 10 mins.
3. Simmer uncovered until most of the liquid is evaporated. Mask apples into a paste with a fork. Allow to cool completely, it will thicken as it cools.
4.Roll out dough onto a floured surface and fit into a 9″ tart pan. Spread a single layer of compote on the bottom, and place in freezer while you prep your apples.
5.Peel, core and slice apples very thin. Place in bowl and squeeze with lemon juice to prevent browning.
6. Remove tart from the freezer. When placing the apples the idea is to create an escargot pattern. Starting from the outside and working your way into the center. Layer each apple, cut side down, one slightly overlapping the other, making your way all around the tart until you reach the center.
7. Bake at 200 c for 15 minutes and then reduce heat to 175 c and bake for 20 more minutes, or until golden brown. Then place under the broiler for 1-2 minutes just until the apples begin to get lightly charred.
And Enjoy your beautiful creation!